Drop the bra.. LET'S EAT!

do things a little differently


Chinatown. Red Light District?

Has anyone been to People’s Park Complex lately? Maybe it’s no big deal to some people but I’m so disgusted by what I saw! Ok, I know of several incidents of “China mama” being arrested at Pearl Centre providing “special” service to men but since the police raided that area, I thought that Chinatown would be rid of these ulgy sight. But I was wrong, what I saw at people’s park complex was very disturbing for me.

Chinatown has always been a multiracial place that welcomes visitors from all nations. Tourist comes to Singapore’s Chinatown to experience the rich customs and traditions of the great cultures of Asia but instead, Chinatown has turned into a “Red Light District”?

Last night, I was at People’s Park Complex meeting a friend for dinner at one of the fast food outlet. The moment I walked in, I noticed a group of “Ah beh” (old man in hokkien) chatting away in mandarin, with them is a woman in her mid 30s. One look at her, I could tell that she’s a china woman, the moment I heard her talking, I was right.

I bought a drink and found a table that was just a table away from their table, although the place was noisy and crowded but I could still hear them talking. I overheard the “Ah beh” asking her in mandarin: “You got see your man’s wife??” I didn’t think much and took out a book to read while waiting for my friend, then I noticed another “couple” - another old man (grey hair, maybe 65 -70 yrs) with a woman in mid 30s (China woman) sitting at a table in front me. Looking at their body language, I’m sure they are a “couple” because the woman was “feeding” him food and the old man has his hand on her lap. The next moment, the woman from the group of “Ah beh” came over to sit with this couple. It seems to me that both woman are friends and when the old man went to the toilet, the two woman begin to gossip, I couldn’t really hear what they were talking. I wasn’t spying on them, it’s just that they were sitting infront of me. Anyway, I was feeling disgusted by this china woman with an old man who can be his grandfather and I am sure it’s not because he’s good looking.

Then I realised that the place is “infested” with not just “China woman” but also Filipinos girls, as young as 19 years old! There’s 2 of them sitting next to my table with a young indian chap, the guy asked about their age and that’s how I knew. He began asking both the girls about their names. Obviously they just met and these girls were behaving funny as if they were on a look-out for something. When I look outside the fast food outlet, I could see more of these girls roaming the area, some of them were seated on the side walks of the shop chatting with men (I don’t think they are locals, I learnt later that these men are sailors). Some walking aimlessly from one end of the complex to the other end. It seems that these routine has been going on for quite awhile, the girls, mostly filipinos roamed the area in groups of 3 or more, dressed in revealing clothing with heavy make-up!

When did Chinatown became a “Red Light District!” Where did all these young Filipinos girls come from? Are they students? Are there on social visit? How did they end up here? And the scary thing is, they are doing it openly in public? Is it legal? Why is it allowed? All these questions went through my mind and I have no answer ...

3 Responses to “Chinatown. Red Light District?”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yup. Will always see (old) china mei-meis at People's Park, especially on weekdays and in broad daylight! They're all over the place, leeching on the old mans' CPF money.

    Filipinos? Rarely see them though.

    On a sidenote, the yong tau foo over there not bad leh. The one with the yellow signboard. :-D  

  2. # Blogger NIL

    No kidding. Pearl Hill Center is worst. I’m astounded that shops inside Pearl’s hill center have developed into massage outlets, touting for business whenever male shoppers walk past. Talk about strategic business locations, Yangtze cinema showing R-rated movies, Pearl center caters the ‘needs’ after movies.  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    i think all over the world suffers the same predicament. chinatown always attracts crowds n not necessarily those who are keen on chinese culture. sorry if i appear discriminatory but i sincerely think that places like chinatown, regardless of what country you're in would attract the darker side of community.  

Post a Comment

Name: pink dimple
Home: Singapore
About Me:

See my complete profile

Web This Blog

Friends

Food Talk

Fashion & Beauty Talk



Powered by Blogger

make money online blogger templates

blog counter
Add to Technorati Favorites Digg!


© 2006 Drop the bra.. LET'S EAT! | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
Learn how to make money online | First Aid and Health Information at Medical Health